Wednesday 21 May 2008

Spice up your life !

It was a normal Thursday evening. Was off from work early, took a swim and had dinner at Tiong Bharu Plaza with friends JC and JA.

First timer to the restaurant, I was quite amused by the name in chinese 别府面馆 (Benpu Menkan) and its decoration which resemble Hell.

Only then I know they are well-known to serve spicy Japanese ramen. Being adventurous, and to accept the challenge of a dare from JC and JA, I ordered the Oniyama Jigoku (Ramen with Fried Chicken from Hell) and with a spicy rating equivalent to 8 chilli padis. For your information, there are choices from 1 chilli, 2 chillies, 4 chillies, 6 chillies and a maximum of 8 chillies.

Notice the chilli rating under the food description

Me:" I would like to have Oniyama Jigoku, 8 chillies please!"
The waiter even suggested :" Are you sure? I suggest you to just take 4 chillies la...."
Me:" Why? 4 chillies and 8 chillies same price woh......8 chillies la!"
Waiter: "ok ......"

JC, in fear I could not finish the spicy noodles, ordered Tatsumaki Jigoku with 1 chilli so that if the worse case happen, we can mix both noodles together and create a 4-chilli noodle.

JA ordered a seafood paperpot and promised to finish a bottle of sake if I could finish the 8-chilli ramen.

The noodles arrived shortly, looking and smelling spicy.
Looks intimidating

Looking at the shock across the table, the waiter kindly asked :" Do you want a glass of ice cold water?"
Me:"Wah, look down on me? I want hot green tea instead!" (actually its better to drink hot drink when you take spicy food la...)
Waiter: "Ok....."

Picking up the unusually large spoon, I tasted the soup for a start, and man, it's spicy, but still tolerable after my hell-like spicy food eating training in Indonesia.

Then I started eating the ramen....and I started to feel the burn in my mouth.

Couple of minutes later, my stomach started catching fire.

And after 10 minutes, I was virtually crying while eating ramen.........

Amazingly, after like 15 minutes, I don't feel anything anymore.....and I managed to finish the whole bowl of ramen, not including the soup of course.
Job done! Viva King of Spice!

Disappointingly, JA did not keep her promise to drink down a bottle of sake.......and I sacrificed without any returns.

JA, you owe me a bottle of sake!

JA's Seafood Paperpot

They even mention the spicy rating on the receipt! Don't play play!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

强,实在是强!

Anonymous said...

hahaha! 8 sounds scary

KwongHong said...

bravo! bravo!
my penang colleagues always teasing Ipoh ppl cannot take spicy food (shame on me), but I guess I need to fwd them this blog post ..

Jane Kong said...

OH! I didn't know you can take so spicy!! Indeed impressive!

:: sMaLL AnT :: said...

Hahahahahaha....there's no credit term on the outstanding sake right? I decided to 耍赖...wahahaha~!
I shall always remember the expression on your face that day....the complicated look :p